|Pittsylvania County, Virginia
In 1785 the Pittsylvania County records credit Colonel Haynes Morgan with 4 white tithables, 1 dwelling
house and 5 other buildings. That same year, he was made Colonel of the County Militia. In 1788 a
Masonic Lodge was organized at Pittsylvania Court House and Colonel Morgan was chosen as the Master
Mason for Lodge No. 24. There were then only two dozen Masonic lodges.
On August 22, 1789, Haynes Morgan wrote to Governor Beverly Randolph “complaining that the County
Court had recommended Lieut. Col. Stephen Coleman to be Colonel of the First Battalion of Militia and Mr.
Constant Perkins, a private in the Second Battalion, to be major in the First. He claims that he is entitled to
the promotion, being the Eldest Colonel. These promotions occur by reason of the death of Col. Abraham
Shelton of the First Battalion.” He stated that the Court of the County, “consisting of a few members in his
absence had recommended Stephen Coleman Lt. Col. of the First to be Col. thereof, & he had been
commissioned. This he [Morgan] conceives to be his right, and request the Governor as Commander-in-
Chief, to see him righted.” There is no record of a response.
Colonel Haynes Morgan remained involved with the State Capital. By an Act of the General Assembly
dated December 16, 1791, he was appointed a Commissioner to examine obstructions to the passage of
fish up the Rivers. Serving with him on this Commission were Matthew Clay, Thomas Watkins, John Wilson,
George Adams, David Hunt, William Todd, Robert Williams, Stephen Coleman, James Anderson, Beverley
Barksdale, and John Markham.
In February of 1793, he applied for 400 acres of vacant land on his own lines and those of Doss,
Crenshaws, and Andersons, beginning on his own line "per his 3,000-acre warrant." Apparently, he was
granted this land for his earlier service. His heirs received land for his service many years later after his
Colonel Haynes Morgan’s will was dated January 15, 1790, but it would be five more years before it was
proved in court. His will was ordered recorded on April 20, 1795. An appraisal of his estate lists 22 slaves
by name with value ranging from 8 to 75 pounds each. The slaves were Old Will, Isaac, Sherwood, Nan,
Grace, Jude, Phillis, Silvey, Little Jude, Abram, Nelson, Jenny, Harwood, Mary, Siller, Moriah, Patt, Dick,
Rose, Fanny, Ned, and Young Will. His will gave his sword to his son, Haynes Morgan II.
Records show that in 1805, Mary, the widow of Colonel Haynes Morgan, had six slaves and three horses.
Haynes Morgan II had 11 slaves and four horses.
On September 17, 1810, Haynes Morgan II bought 126 acres of land on both sides of Banister River
“including one half acre for the Mill Seat” from Henry Wade, Senior. This was the old mill built by John
Buckley on Banister river near the mouth of Allen’s Creek in 1795. In 1816, Haynes Morgan II applied to
build another mill one quarter of a mile above his mill. In 1817, Haynes Morgan II sold three tracts of land
which totaled 988 acres.
The 259-acre tract with the home place and grave of Colonel Haynes Morgan, was sold to Edmond
Fitzgerald for $2,595.00. Descendants of Fitzgerald live on this land today.
Also in 1817, Haynes Morgan II’s brother-in-law sold the 190-acre tract of land that was given him by his
father, Major Vincent Shelton in 1816. Both of these families (Morgans and Sheltons) migrated to Rowan
(now Davie) County, North Carolina.
On the 24th of March 1838, warrant #8510 was issued for 6,666 and 2/3 acres of land for three years
service as a Colonel in the State Line by Haynes Morgan during the Revolutionary War. The warrant was
issued to Mary Thompson Roberts, Elizabeth Shelton, (the children) - Mary Thompson Thomas, Haynes
Laurence Morgan, John B. Morgan, and Elizabeth Morgan Thomas, Susan Columbia Morgan
(grandchildren of Col. Haynes Morgan, deceased).
Fifty-two years after the old soldier’s death, on February 22, 1847, descendants of Colonel Morgan signed
a power of attorney to William B. Morgan to obtain land for the colonel’s service. Morgan was directed to
locate military land warrant #419 in Virginia for 1,482 acres due the descendants of Elizabeth L. Shelton,
deceased, who was a child of Haynes Morgan, deceased, who was a colonel in the Continental Line
(actually the State Line). the warrant was said to be issued on 10 July 1838. Elizabeth’s four children were
Henry R. Shelton, Sr., Elizabeth L. Shelton Howell, Vincent Morgan Shelton, and Susan B. Shelton Ribelin.
|Colonel Haynes Morgan
The Later Years